If you've been hit by a car, there are several things you should know:
- Get Witness Info: names and numbers of any witnesses. Sometimes police do not get the names and numbers of all witnesses. Take photos of the scene if you can.
- Get the Driver’s Info: license plate number, name, address, phone number, driver’s license number and insurance information.
- If a Motorist Does not Stop: look for witnesses, gather their contact information, and stay put while you file a police report with LAPD, call 1-877-ASK-LAPD. LAPD prefers to come to the scene of the incident.
- Call the Police: 1-877-ASK-LAPD or get someone else to call the police. Get the officer’s name and badge number.
- Accept Medical Treatment at the Scene of the Collision: If it turns out that you are injured and you refused treatment at the scene, the insurance company can use that against you.
In many instances, if you are hit by a car as a pedestrian, your own auto insurance may cover you. You may want to talk to a lawyer first. A consultation should be free. We recomend:
Joshua Cohen: 855.377.2453
Gary Brustin (también se habla español): 800-841-2453
Howard Krepack (GEKLaw): 213-739-7000
If in other cities in LA County: Follow the same steps, but call your local police station.